Sunday, June 5, 2011

He's Here!!

He is here.
We had to force him out (by induction), but finally in the wee hours of Saturday, May 28th 2011--he came.

And it did not go at all as I planned mentally--the goals in my head were:
1-healthy baby
2-natural labor with as little medical intervention as possible
3-quick labor
4-capture the whole process on video/camera
5-look like a human (hair and make up done) in the memories captured

Here's how things really went down.
Went to my doctor's appointment as scheduled 2 DAYS AFTER MY DUE DATE for a regular post date check up. While we were there the doc put me on the fetal monitor and after about 15 minutes the doctor came back in to check my stats on the little graphy paper thing. He nodded, muttered to himself, and folded back up the graphy thingy then he said this
"We need to talk in my office..."

Jet Pilot and I gave each other a weary look, took a deep breath and said a quick prayer with our eyes to one another.
Me..."Uhhh ok sure"

The doc told us the baby was having periods of his heart beat decelerating and in a pre-term baby this was cause for concern BUT in a post date BIG baby boy like the one I am having it was a sign that he needs to come out because he was probably pulling on his umbilical cord for fun.
All my kids love mischief.
Even in utero.

So doc told us to head over to hospital and get ourselves an induction. There goes Goal #2. Right out the window.
Coupled with the fact that my hair was in a bun and I had no make up on. Goal #5 was staking claim right next to #2 outside that window as well.
But Jet Pilot and I were ok with it because ultimately we know that Goal #1 is the most important.

Fast forward a few hours and I am vein deep in Pitocin (aka the devil) and hanging in there quite nicely. Then we notice it (I am fortunate enough that I have 2 amazing cousins my age who drove across town and labored with me through the night)

"Hey cuz, look at your's swollen"
Me "Huh, it is.."
"Maybe you should tell the nurse that your hand is swollen, or tell Jet Pilot to tell them.."
Jet Pilot "Gimme your hand..let me look at it.."
Me- begrudgingly giving my hand to Jet Pilot...I don't really like doctors so I try to fly under the radar and not draw attention to myself.
Even if it means a hand that resembles sausages as opposed to fingers.

Jet Pilot "Oh my gosh your hand IS SWOLLEN-a lot!"

So the nurse switches my IV of pain juice to the other hand apparently I had some sort of reaction and my body didn't like the way the nurse man handled the needle into my fragile vein.

There was a birthing ball, broken water, and getting on all fours during this time. I had an amazing midwife who encouraged me to just work through it and trust my body.
She was so fabulous.
I love her.
I want to have more babies and get care solely from this chick-that's how good she is.

Also in the spirit of Dill-io children this one likes to cause trouble as well--when the midwife broke my water it was not the clear color it was supposed to be.
Why, you ask?
Because the little stinker had pooped in utero and was now swimming in poopy water. Meconium-great.

But not a major cause for concern. Phew.

So nurse checks me and I am at a six and then at what seems like hours later (although Jet Pilot said it was more like 30 minutes) she checks again and says it's go time.

And here is the humbling part...when it came to pushing--I was scared.
Scared I was going to have a 10lb baby,
Scared I was going to stall and end up with a c section because I was induced,
Scared because pushing hurts-- a lot.
I panicked a little bit. Told Jet Pilot and my cousins I was not Spaz I know. Wouldn't grab my own legs and help myself out and push this kid into the world already.

Finally I think I came back to reality and realized- I. HAD. TO. PUSH. So I did. And it was quick, well quick for me--Jet Pilot said it was only 15 minutes--but by my internal clock it was about 28482 hours long.

And then...he was here.

All 8lbs and 12 oz of his handsomeness.
He's beautiful. He's my biggest baby. He's perfect. And it was like I already knew him the second I looked at his little face.

In short-it was a great experience and I am so glad Jet Pilot and my 2 cousins were there all along to encourage and motivate me. I could not have done it without them.
We are all home now and getting used to being Dill-io, Party of Five.
I love it. I love this life. And these kids. And a husband who flies Jets. It really doesn't get any better than this.
Unless of course someone brought cookies.
I love cookies.
Or Peanut Butter and Chocolate ice cream from Baskin Robbins. That's stuff is so good it should be illegal.

In closing, I hope you enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed retelling it. I love to hear and read birth stories--makes me feel motherly and womanly. Two things I love.

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Tommee Tippee blogging contest for a chance to get a gift pack worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.


Tara F said...

Congrats on your newest litlle one. Families of 5 are fantastic! It seems like just yesterday, you let us know you were expecting & now.. well.. WOW !!! Time flies.. Sleep as much as possible & enjoy !

Down Roads Less Traveled said...

I am so happy for you and your family. So glad you are both home and everyone is okay. Precious story, loved reading it. Can't wait to see a pic of him. GMA told me how beautiful his black curly hair is!~GA Peach

Cindi S World said...

Awwww, you did great! And he is gorgeous! So glad everyone is home and you are doing so well. Love you!

Melissa said...

Congrats again Lacy. He is a cutie-pie!
Glad everything turned out okay, even if not as planned.

That was funny what the doctor said about the Baby pulling on the U-cord for fun.
During labor with my last son we kept having troubles with his heart rate decelerating. The nurse would shake my belly and yell "Wake up baby!" at it.
That was 17 years ago, I guess they didn't know about the U-cord thing then.